Tuesday, September 27, 2005

S'Wonderful

So, went to see Serenity last night... and all's I got to say is

W O W.

When the show went off the air, Joss Whedon was reported heartbroken because every aspect of 'Firefly' just came together and gelled. Well, his passion for that cast and universe was palpable in this movie. This comes across as a grittier Star Wars with no aliens and less fantasy aspects.

It was great to see the cast back together and interacting the way they did in the television series. I think it also works fairly well if one isn't familiar with the series either, due to quite a bit of exposition in the first 15 minutes. Honestly, that was the only time in the film where I got a little squirmy, since I already knew the backstory. Once we got past all that, it was a helluva ride.

I said this to someone earlier this morning and I'll say it again. I think that this'll make some serious duckets this weekend simply because it's a well-crafted escapist film (shoot, I'll probably see it again just to make sure it has a big opening weekend), but, if it fails to ignite then this is a fitting ending to an excellent television series. In typical Whedon fashion, alot of thigns happen at the climax and some things are genuinely shocking and moving. I ain't saying anymore so as to spoil it, but it's also a wonderful beginning for a movie franchise, too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home