Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Open A New Window


This past weekend was a whirlwind of activity- well starting Saturday, at least. Thursday night, after the show, was spent at The Office, with Munsen and the always lovely Mrs. Mig. Our conversation was all over the place and it was just good to have some quality time with them both, even though I stayed at the bar much much later than I anticipated. Friday night, as I was already feeling the pull of not enough sleep, I spent with Leela and Fry cavorting around their exercise pen. This time I brought my camera in and shot some video of them taking their dust baths so you can see exactly what I’m talking about. They love doing it! So much so, that if they do it too often their skin will dry out, so I take the bathhouse out after 15 minutes. It’s very cute how they take turns going in and out of it, too. I do know they’re at least used to me as a presence in the pen, since whenever I lay down amongst them to read, they climb all over me and often perch on my head of shoulder. I also took this time to clean out their cage and disinfect everything with rubbing alcohol and then remodel the levels to they had some exploring to do.

Well, anyways, all that took quite a bit of time, and I ended up not getting to sleep until 11, while trying to watch “Grey Gardens”- the film. I finished watching it the next day and, while I wasn’t sure I was going to enjoy it, I was mesmerized by it. I can’t believe how the Beales were able to live in such squalor and not want to do anything about it. I did find myself laughing at times; mostly with the delusions that they had that nothing really needed to be fixed. Overall, I’m very impressed with that documentary and I just found it fascinating and can’t wait to watch it again.

My friend Patrick had planned to come into town to join me for some theater-going Saturday and Sunday, and he was taking the train down from NY in time for the matinee of “Caroline, Or Change” at Studio Theatre (A show he took me to in 2004). Well, as can be expected, the train was delayed and I went ahead to catch the show. Luckily he was able to get there at intermission. The show itself was very good. I really loved the Broadway production, thinking that it was very revolutionary and ahead of its time with a few stellar performances as well. Studio’s version was wonderfully intimate with a mostly appealing cast. Max Talisman is a standout as Noah as is Trisha Jeffrey who plays Caroline’s daughter. I think Julia Nixon, in the title role, is still finding her way with it. She didn’t seem to channel the rage/frustration that this character would have in her inability & resistance to change her life, but it’s still a production to catch. Grade: B+

After a mighty fine dinner at BUcca di Beppo in Dupont Circle, we headed over to the Kennedy Center to see “Mame.” And, boy were we in for a lovely surprise- it was incredibly enjoyable. As we commented during intermission, Broadway doesn’t even get the lavishness that we’ve been treated to in this production- a band of 22, huge sets & ensemble, tons of costumes and a helluva lot of dancing. To be honest, the “Auntie Mame” story is one of my favorites, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen the musical staged before (I tend to block out the Lucille Ball fiasco of the early 70s), even though I’m v. familiar with Jerry Herman’s score, so I was very resistant to the streamlining of the plot for the musical. But, it was all for naught, as the musical’s book retained a lot of what made the original work and Ms. Baranski is revealing as Mame. Her connection with her nephew is very palpable as well as her eccentricities, yet she’s not as outlandish as one would assume, based on the show’s reputation. Harriet Harris almost steals the show as Mame’s best friend Vera Charles and Harrison Chad (the original Noah from Broadway’s “Caroline, Or Change”) is a fine young actor as Patrick. The book of the musical isn’t dated or creaky, by any means, and moves along at a brisk pace. Sure, there are things that aren’t fleshed out that I would’ve liked, but that’s probably just me comparing “Mame” to its original source. Leaving the KenCen, we were both surprised at how much we had enjoyed ourselves (having perfect, sixth-row-center-seats, I’m sure contributed, too) and took away from it. Grade: A

After the show, I dropped Patrick (who’d had a long day) at his hotel and went over to The Office where Munsen was celebrating her birthday. Having a couple of drinks with her and all her friends was fun, but by 12:45 I was also pretty much spent so I went on home and collapsed in my bed.

Sunday morning, Patrick and I met up with My Gay Dads at Carlysle in Shirlington for brunch before the matinee of “Assassins” at The Theatre. Since it was Patrick’s first time there, I was a little unsure what he would think about our productions but was pleasantly surprised, since he loved it. Since it was my second time seeing it, I’m happy to say that I think that this version of “Assassins” is probably the best conceived clearest interpretation of the musical I have seen yet. Unfortunately, I also think that the clarity of the staging brings out the weaknesses of the book. Apart from a few strong scenes, I feel it’s repetitive, although I think the score is one of Sondheim’s triumphs and this cast sings it as good as the Roundabout production. If you live in the DC area and are reading this and have yet to get your tickets, do so now. The first 6 weeks are already sold out and sales are strong for the rest of the run. Grade: B+

2 Comments:

At 6/06/2006 5:05 PM , Blogger Theata Widowa said...

Grey Gardens! OMG. "This is the best costume for today, I think."

 
At 6/07/2006 11:34 PM , Blogger Patrick Lee said...

Well, as can be expected, the train was delayed...

It's true, you DID warn me! I figured that meant twenty minutes or so, not two hours stuck in Trenton. I am allergic to New Jersey!

Great to see you, bud!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home