Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Goin' Up To New York- Conclusion

So, after “Of Thee I Sing!” Patrick & I headed over to our hotel to meet up with My Gay Dads and then met up with Sean McTool over at Colony Over-priced Record shop and we sauntered over to Angus McIndoe’s for dinner. After a nice, leisurely conversation-filled dinner, Sean went off to his show, Patrick went off to see “Hot Feet” (sorry, buddy) and me and my Dads went off to “Three Days of Rain.”

Ever since I saw “Take Me Out” Off-Broadway, I was mesmerized by Richard Greenberg’s flair for dialogue. It was just as surprising that I hadn’t seen anything written by him before, but I knew I would be on the lookout for future plays by him. “Three Days” was the play that put Greenberg on the map, from what I heard, so the fact that it was being revived and directed by Joe Mantello (who I really enjoy) made me perk up. The added bonus was the casting of uber-hotties Paul Rudd and Bradley Cooper as well as the Broadway debut of Julia Roberts. I had read the reviews, so I was expecting the worst, and I have to disclose that I am a, somewhat-late, big fan of her work (since “Erin Brockovich”).

While the two men acquitted themselves nicely on stage, especially Mr. Cooper with a much understated performance, Ms. Roberts didn’t have the presence to fill a Broadway house. When she spoke, she was barely intelligible (and we were in Orchestra Row H). I also think that much of the fault of her acting is based on the material and the direction. Of the two characters she plays, the woman in Act Two is supposed to be vivacious and seductive and perhaps a little crazy and I felt none of that.

Now, I’ve enjoyed everything that Mr. Mantello’s directed in the past- even “Wicked” and especially “Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune”- but the motivations that drive these six people and the conflicts and passion were not there. I think that part of it also lies with the playwright as well. You can see the inkling of the genius that Mr. Greenberg employs in the concept of the play, but it just wasn’t as compelling as “Take Me Out” was. I just felt that, with a more capable director and leading lady, this could have been much more involving. As it stands, it was an okay production of an okay play.

Now, the mob scene afterwards was insane. As we left, my Dads & I came upon one man at the theatre entrance who was willing to pay $100 for a ticket stub. After a collective “Wha?” we realised that there was a barricade by the stage door and, if you had a stub for the performance that just let out, you can go in and wait for an autograph. Since it was Paul Rudd and Bradley Cooper, I figured it was worth. My Dads, though, were in there in a millisecond.

Julia was the first one to come out and she was just beautiful and gracious in person, and stuck around until a majority of people (if front) got her autograph. Bradley Cooper was the next one to exit and, I have to say, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more beautiful man in the world. On “Alias” or any of the films he’s been in, you think, “hey, what a handsome guy,” but WHOA! All of his features just fit together so well and his smile… he just made my knees weak. Paul Rudd was the last one to exit, and then I felt bad for Julia’s driver, who had to maneuver his SUV through the throng of people who had gathered in the street just to catch a glimpse. Granted, she is one of the last glamorous “Superstars,” but some people just don’t care to give space to a celebrity (am I being ironic? I don’t think so).

After that mess, as we were walking to Havan Central for some Cuban dessert (Churros- yummy!), I told the Dads that I was never going to go through a mess like that again. It was claustrophobic and just plain crazy. Play Grade: C
Seeing Bradley Cooper GradeA+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home