Friday, July 28, 2006

Pirates- AAARRGH!!

Let me tell you about Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest- I saw it the day after my mom was taken to the hospital, and completely forgot about seeing it until this week when I emailed my friend Kiwihunter about it (this is basically what I wrote to her, but slightly expanded). My brother was arriving in the afternoon, so I took the day off and went and had my car serviced and, while waiting, I took my niece to see an early showing of it. It felt like the longest damn movie I’d ever sat through. I think the last hour and change was pretty good but other than that, I found it plodding and pointless with way too much emphasis on Turner and Elizabeth instead of Jack. I did like the character of Davey Jones (the pirate, not the Monkee), and was fairly surprised and impressed that he was completely computer-generated. Bill Nighy provided the motion and acting to the role and he was fittingly threatening, grotesque and funny. In fact, whenever the movie strayed away from the main throughline of Jack's reason for finding Davey Jones I got increasingly bored. I’m hoping the third one is as good as the first one. I had watched the first one again the week before I saw this and that may have actually spoiled my expectations since the editing, acting, and everything else were so tight(and that movie was over 2 hours, too) but "Dead Man's Chest" is not a movie I’m planning on watching again. Grade: C+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home