Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Post-Turkey update


Welp, a lot has happened since I last updated this here blog. Last week, Munsen got me into a Town Hall Q&A with Jimmy Carter at her place of secondary employment. Jonathan Demme was also there filming the event for a documentary he was making about the former president.

Now, I’ll admit to not remembering much about his term. Mostly, I remember the gas crisis and Iran Hostage situation, neither of which were his fault or doing, but post-term he’s been one of the most influential and humanitarian figures in history (you don’t get a Nobel Peace Prize for doing nuthin’). I found the 82-year man to be well-spoken and very eloquent about his views on Palestine and the current war in Iraq and also quite gracious. I spoke with an acquaintance while getting into the signing line, and asked her why there were no political figures who could phrase a sentence, galvanize a country or speak authoritatively like Carter, Clinton or (I begrudgingly admit) Reagan. We get mister nucular up there addressing the nation and it’s no wonder his approval ratings are so low.

But I digress, the line moved relatively fast and I was able to thank President Carter as he signed my books and he blew a kiss to another friend of mine behind me in line (after she told him that he was her hero- very sweet).

After that, I turned on my cell phone (no mobile phones allowed when meeting the former president) and found out that I had a couple tickets to catch the opening night performance of “She Loves Me” at Arena Stage and I only had an hour to find a date and get there. I was able to get my cohort in crime at the Theatre to meet me there and we saw SGS, his BF and Jenny also in the audience.

To be honest, I wasn’t really looking forward to it at all. In the past, the musical productions I’ve seen at Arena were less-than-pleasing- granted all of the ones I didn’t enjoy were directed by Artistic Director, Molly Smith, and since this was helmed by Kyle Donnelly I had no expectations.

My low expectations were, thankfully, dashed as the night progressed and it’s become the best musical I’ve seen at Arena Stage. This show was such a light-hearted romantic affair, I had a grin on my face halfway through act one. The second act was a bit predictable, but still enjoyable and I heartily recommend it to anyone on the DC area. After the review in the Washington Post, I’d assume that ticket sales are currently brisk through the holidays, when it closes December 31. Grade: A-

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home