Sunday, April 22, 2007

Where You Going? Barcelona. Oh- Day 5



Today was a more laid-back kind of affair (although, it always turns out less so). All we had planned was to go to the Palace of Catalan Music, the Christopher Columbus Monument and Aquarium. After having breakfast, we took the metro (no transfers this time) to the Palace, where the next guided tour was almost 2.5 hours later. So, my parents wanted to sit there the whole time and it was a little chillier than previous days, so I decided to hit the Corte Ingles (CI) for something a little warmer. Turned out that the CI was maybe 10 minutes away, so I had some time to kill there and I just wandered around, after finding a sweater that I sorta like (kinda not my color but I’m sure I’ll get used to it).

The tour of the Music Palace was neat, although I could only take a picture of the exterior due to it being a private building and there are no pictures allowed. Lots of beautiful flower imagery and statues evoking muses and valkyries and some nice stained glass work on the ceilings. On the trip to the metro to get to the Columbus monument, my parents wanted some warmer clothing as well, so we stopped at the CI (again) before heading out again. By this point I needed to grab lunch, so we stopped at (OMG) Burger King- the only place with not much of a wait- for a kid’s meal.

Once we made our way to the subway, we got to the monument and it was almost 6. We went up to the top and looked around (it’s not too dissimilar to the Statue of Liberty, probably not as tall), took pictures and went back down. On the way around I did take this picture of a tourist posing underneath a lion’s nads, though.



Afterwards, we walked down to the harbor and finally made it to the Aquarium. Luckily, since it was early evening, there wasn’t much of a crowd (which worried me, it being a Saturday), so we went in saw the various exhibits and then watched a half hour documentary. This place was nicely designed- v. similar to the Atlanta Aquarium, but on a smaller scale- and had a couple of automated walkways that go underneath the main tank that housed no less than 7 sharks. There was also a display of penguins and reminded me of Happy Feet and I got a little sad (if you’ve seen the movie, you know what I mean).



Then, on the way back to the metro we hit a Chinese place for dinner, back here to the hotel and I’m on my way to a bar (and hopefully have a NSFW* story).



*Not Safe For Web (or work, for that matter).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home