Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Retread

While trying to keep this blog & my activites up to date, I totally realised that I forgot a wonderful fun day the chez StephenGregory's where we watched "The Women" and "All About Eve."

Two films I have never seen before and feel somewhat ashamed to admit about, since I've been aware of these movies for decades it seems. At least I don't have to turn in my gay card now. *grin*

Now, StephenGregory summarised it wonderfully, I'd like to put in my $.02 about the movies themselves:

Both were impeccably well-written, also such a product of their times. I don't think that the likes of this sort of talent will be seen on celluloid ever again, with such wit and bite. Rosalind Russell, mother of us all, tears up a storm with her mile-a-minute delivery as Sylvia Fowler. Joan Crawford is so sly as Crystal and I actually felt pity towards Norma Shearer's Mary Haines. And Bette Davis just plows through "All About Eve" as Margo Channing but also Celeste Holm I think is incredibly understated in her role as Margo's best friend and also betrayer, Karen Richards.

StephenGregory and I were mulling over what to do next, and hopefully it'll be a Liza With A Z night htis Saturday... Does it still sound like a plan, SGS?

1 Comments:

At 3/29/2006 7:10 PM , Blogger STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Sure thing! Call me on Friday and we'll set it up!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home