Thursday, April 27, 2006

Dance: 10 Looks: 3

You know, I've been reading the Broadway Boards for while, always getting the scoop on local and New York happenings and, when I heard rumblings about a revival of "A Chorus Line" coming to Broadway I was depressed. I wondered, "Has it really boiled down to this- reviving something that feels like it just closed?" To be honest, ACL was the very first musical I saw on Broadway when I was 17 and, granted, I had seen the movie many times before when I was younger, it holds a very special place in my heart. It's also a monumental piece of theatre that even a film (as crummy as it was) couldn't replicate. When I saw it in April of 1988, it touched me like nothing I had seen before. It didn't affect me like "Les Mis," "La Cage" or "Evita" had when I saw them in DC. I was in a true Broadway house, seeing what was then the musical of musicals. And it was probably the first really "intimate" musicals I had ever seen before, especially sitting in the Shubert, which had never struck me as a large house. Needless to say, I had one of those perfect nights you would always remember. So, I had my reservations about a revival of something that seemed like didn't need reviving just yet.

Well, then I saw this video and all those goose-pimply feelings came back. I really, really hope that this cast and production can pull it off. Even if it does, will audiences of today have the same kind of awe and inspiration that so many people experienced when they saw it on the 70s and 80s?

A line of white tape, a ghost light and a mirror is all one needs. Oh, and the music and the chance to dance...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home