Monday, September 18, 2006

Remembering Jim Henson

Ages ago, on Labor Day, I went to go see Another Gay Movie up in DC and, afterwards I realised that it was the final weekend for visiting the National Museum of American History before they close for two years to renovate/remodel and they had some new additions donated by Jim Henson's widow. While it wasn't a huge amount of Muppets, it was still fascinating. Here's a sampling:

Some of the notable Muppets that Henson himself voiced (Dr. Teeth, Rowlf The Dog, Kermit (natch), and the Hill-Billy guy that resembled Henson):


A Mystic from the kick-@ss-scary-for-kids movie "The Dark Crystal:"


Oscar The Grouch (although I think that's been there already in the pop culture area):


And the Swedish Chef and Rizzo The Rat:


Walking through these cases really made me misty and got me thinking about Henson's legacy and what he would have created had he not passed away so suddenly. It also brought to mind one of the most beautiful Muppet Show songs that always gets me a little teary-eyed and yet puts a smile on my face at the same time, Bein' Green (Download song | Purchase CD).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home